January 17, 2013

The Genesee River

Having lived in the general region of Rochester NY for my full life, the Genesee River is like kindred family to me.  It was the sustaining force that helped to grow Rochester as a city.  It touches me in some physical way almost every day.  When I drive along the banks of the Genesee I always note with fascination the height of the river, the color, is it roaring? is it sleepy rolling?   Wikipedia has a wonderful page about the Genesee

I decided to do a Google map route myself of the river flow.  Sometimes it gets pretty tricky to follow because of the lush trees around it.  What I really wanted to pinpoint was where it started from.  This river flows north into the Great Lake Ontario.  So where does it come from?  Pennsylvania. Specifically - Potter County in Pennsylvania.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Genesee_map_large.jpg#filelinks

 
If you are curious about Potter County PA - you should be.  

If you think NY is not affected by any gas drilling operations yet, you could be wrong.  Nobody really knows -

and nobody is really testing.


No comments:

Post a Comment