In order to accomplish the goal of that physical well and shattering, a whole gambit of operations has to take place first and after. These are just a few of the major events.
- Land must be leased and mineral rights acquired
- Acreage must be bought up within communities and towns
- Land must be cleared
- Well pads must be constructed
- retaining ponds are created
- millions of gallons of fresh water must be trucked in
- hundreds of gallons (or more) of chemicals are trucked in
- noisy drilling operations run 24/7
- flaring directly into the atmosphere of raw gas
- flowback / drill cuttings returned to the surface must be treated
- toxic materials have to be trucked away from the well pad site
- compressors run to move the gas through pipelines
- more pipelines are built to move gas to refineries and ports
- and on and on and on.
Whether it is the radioactive materials or methane released or the extreme depletion of our fresh water supply or the destruction of our lands or the complicated house of cards the industry has built financially - we must stop the corporate industrialization of our state now. That means: no HVHF drilling and all that is required to support it. If NY were to ban fracking and re-focus the energy conversation to renewable, green, safe energy development it will be an historic moment in all of US history.