Today a new report has been released by Environment America.org: Fracking by the Numbers
The “Fracking by the Numbers” report measured key indicators of fracking threats across the country, including:Duke University has been looking at water data in PA and recently reported on radioactivity levels in river waters in western PA. Remember our NY Genesee River has it's head water source in Potter County of western PA. See also:
• 280 billion gallons of toxic wastewater generated in 2012,
• 450,000 tons of air pollution produced in one year,
• 250 billion gallons of fresh water used since 2005,
• 360,000 acres of land degraded since 2005,
• 100 million metric tons of global warming pollution since 2005.
- Fracking May Be Polluting River with Radioactive Waste by Bobby Mcgill
- Fracking Linked to Radioactive River Water in PA by Wendy Koch
- Impacts of Shale Gas Wastewater Disposal on Water Quality in Western PA Environmental Science & Technology Oct 2
Better energy solutions are available. The continued push of national policy and corporate gold rush mentality to develop shale gas is a delaying tactic with bad outcomes.
Our near future depends on the reduction of fossil fuel dependency at all levels as quickly as possible. Dr Ingraffea give the perfect suggestion: the major oil & gas corporations need to learn from Kodak: Change now ~ time's up.
Renewable Energy NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation : Substituting renewable energy for fossil fuels can mean crucial benefits for New Yorkers